Marunada Chestnut Festival
The most famous sweet chestnut festival The Marunada takes place every October in the town of Lovran near Opatija. Maruni are a sweet chestnut grown in the area; larger than the common chestnut and the skin peels a lot easier. Due to their superb quality they have been an important export since the 17th Century.
During the festival everything is dedicated to this chestnut: sample roasted chestnuts, cakes, pancakes and puree washed down with some local wine, or try Medica, a honey brandy that’s also made in the area.
While the festival is on there will be additional entertainment by folklore groups and a packed programme of cultural events to enjoy.
Other festivals held in Lovran during the year are the Asparagus festival in April and the Festival of Cherries in May.
Accommodation is available in the area or head for nearby Opatija which is larger just 5km down the coast.
Photo © Pixabay
- Browse Villas in Croatia
- To book Croatia villas: Email: [email protected], Tel: 0044 (0)1275 813815,
- Browse Croatia Locations
- Explore the best Croatia Beaches for your Croatia Holiday…
- Check out Things to do in Croatia
- Explore the Locations on the Dubrovnik Riviera
- Search Flights to Croatia
- Check out our Special Offers Page